OUR 2018 MAINSTAGE PRODUCTION:
TWO MILE HOLLOW by Leah Nanako Winkler
Directed by Lily Tung Crystal
From June 23 to July 15, Ferocious Lotus, along with Intersection for the Arts, will be presenting the world premiere of Leah Nanako Winkler's TWO MILE HOLLOW at Potrero Stage (1695 18th St., San Francisco). You may remember laughing non-stop through our reading of the play last year during our fHERocious New Play Readings.
WHAT'S THE STORY?
In TWO MILE HOLLOW, we meet the Donnellys, a famous, dysfunctional, Caucasian family who are so obsessed with their own privilege that they don’t know what to make of their son’s ethnically ambiguous assistant who comes to visit. Through the weekend, hilarity ensues as siblings argue over women and motorcycles, a mother creates self-loathing in her gluten-intolerant daughter, and complicated and unique secrets are unveiled over white wine.
The twist is that the family is played by actors of color. With this unconventional casting in Winkler's laugh-out-loud “white people by the water” genre play, she sends up some of our favorite American plays and helps us see the inherent inequities on stage and in life. TWO MILE HOLLOW is the perfect parody during this national moment, when our identity as Americans is being questioned more than ever before.
WHY THIS IS EXCITING!
- Playwright Leah Nanako Winkler just won the coveted Jerome Fellowship at The Lark, designed to support an early career writer of extraordinary ability, promise, and vision. She was selected from a pool of 286 applicants!
- TWO MILE HOLLOW made the 2017 Kilroys List of the top most recommended plays by a female playwright.
- Theatre Bay Area believes in us. They recently awarded us the CA$H grant for this production!
- So does Intersection for the Arts who is joining us on the project as co-producer.
- We're part of a simultaneous world premiere with First Floor Theater in Chicago, Artists at Play in Los Angeles, and Mixed Blood Theatre/Theater Mu in Minneapolis.
Since our inception, Ferocious Lotus has indefatigably championed stories of minorities and the marginalized, particularly in a nation where those voices need to be heard. Help support our exciting new project!
Photos above: Actors Bonnie Akimoto*, Rinabeth Apostol*, Lisa Hori-Garcia*, Leon Goertzen*, Lee Robin Salazar, and Ogie Zulueta* rehearse for TWO MILE HOLLOW, part of our 2016 fHERocious New Play Readings at Magic Theatre.
* Member, Actors' Equity